"Ocean Wave" 18912

Show full item record


Title: "Ocean Wave" 18912
Author: Unknown
Description: The "Ocean Wave" was a 2 mast schooner built in 1853 by Peck and Masters of Cleveland, Ohio. She began her life on the lake as a brig (a two mast, square-rigged ship with an additional gaff on the mainmast). Her first enrollment was issued at Detroit, Michigan on July 19, 1853. The ship was originally owed by J. Dennehy and Captain Faith from Chicago, Illinois. "Ocean Wave" was remeasured on April 18, 1865 in Chicago, Illinois where her tonnage was increased to 213.61 tons. On July 22, 1867, "Ocean Wave" experienced a rig change and was converted to a three mast schooner in Chicago, Illinois. On September 16-20, 1866, as "Ocean Wave" sailed to Ogdensburgh, New York with a load of 13,000 bushels of corn, a violent squall blew up and she capsized near Chambers Island, at Hammonds Bay, Michigan, in Lake Huron. She became a total loss. The vessel was surrendered on December 7, 1869 in Chicago, Illinois and endorsed as a "vessel lost".
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/187716
Date: 1853

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
5233-FR2-27-2-1305.jpg 672.7Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record