"Northcliffe Hall" 179195

Show full item record


Title: "Northcliffe Hall" 179195
Author: Unknown
Description: The general cargo vessel, "Northcliffe Hlll" was built in Montreal, Province of Quebec, on November, 1947 by Canadian Vickers, Limited. The first owner was Hall Corporation of Canada, Limited,(1947-1977). The "Northcliffe Hall" was converted to a tanker in 1957. In 1961, the vessel's name was changed to "Cape Transport". On April 30, 1963 eight miles off Harbor Beach, Michigan she was hit with 70 mile per hour winds and suffered loss of her steering gear and radio. The pilothouse windows were also smashed. In 1977, ownership was transferred to Wilt Corporation and registered out of Panama. "Cape Transport's" tonnage was changed to 2020 gross tons and became part of the Great Lakes service where she was converted to a barge at Toronto, Canada., With the last ownership change in 1977, the vessel's name was changed to "Wittransport II" . The "Wittransport II" was stripped in 1980 and foundered at Kingston in 1983.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/187712
Date: 1947

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
5213-FR2-26-27-1266.tif 21.98Mb TIFF image Thumbnail
5214-FR2-26-27-2268.jpg 493.4Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record