Rothesay Castle 29290 (after rebuild)

Show full item record


Title: Rothesay Castle 29290 (after rebuild)
Author: Unknown
Description: The "Rothesay Castle" was built of iron by W. Simons and Company at Renfrew-on-the-Clyde, Scotland in 1861. She was built as a Civil War blockade runner, but by the time of completion, America's Civil War had ended. She was sold to Charles Heron and Captain Thomas Leach in 1866. She ran on the Niagara River in opposition to the "City of Montreal." She later ran between Hamilton, Niagara, and Toronto. She was then purchased by New Brunswick. In March 1874, the "Rothesay Castle" burned. The following year, she was rebuilt and renamed the "Southern Belle." She returned to her old route on Lake Ontario. She was dismantled in 1892. Shown here is the vessel in her early years.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/170537

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
2475.B.13.14.18.2.JPG 273.4Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record