Prince of Wales (Canadian)

Show full item record


Title: Prince of Wales (Canadian)
Author: Unknown
Description: The "Prince of Wales" was built at St. Catharine's Ontario in 1860 for the Ottawa River Navigation Company. She was built of wood and replaced the "Lady Simpson" on the Montreal - Carillon run and continued on this route for 29 seasons. She was then replaced by the "Sovereign." The "Prince of Wales" was used for five years as an excursion moonlight and picnic boat. She was broken up in 1894. Her engine was placed into the "Duchess of York" which was built of steel in 1895 at W. C. White's yard on the Lachine Canal. It is believed that the "Prince of Wales" was named for H.R.H Edward, Prince of Wales, and afterward King Edward VII. Edward was supposedly in Canada in 1860 and traveled up the Ottawa River on the vessel.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/170534

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
2472.B.13.14.17.1.JPG 314.1Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record