Empress of India (Canadian 94926)

Show full item record


Title: Empress of India (Canadian 94926)
Author: Unknown
Description: Built in 1876 by Wm. Jamieson at Mill Point, Bay of Quinte, Ont. as the "Empress of India" (72998), she plied between Toronto-Niagara and St. Catharines. She was owned by A. W. Hepburn of Picton from 1883-1893. Rebuilt at Picton in 1899, the name was changed to "Argyle" under the Argyle Steamship Co. of Toronto and a new Registry number issued. From 1910-1912 she was known as "Grimsby." In 1914 she was renamed "Frontier" and went to the Detroit River under the ownership of Margaret Cook of Windsor, Ont. She sank in the Thames River, under the Chatham, Ont. bridge in 1918. She was later dismantled and her registry closed Aug. 4, 1920. She is shown here prior to the year 1899.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/170533

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
2471.B.13.14.16.2.JPG 273.7Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
3389.FR2.12.59.1.JPG 309.5Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record