Eastland at South Haven, Michigan

Show simple item record


dc.contributor.author Unknown en
dc.coverage.spatial Great Lakes (North America) en
dc.coverage.temporal 1907 en
dc.date.accessioned 2010-12-31T15:02:03Z
dc.date.available 2010-12-31T15:02:03Z
dc.date.issued 2010-12-31T15:02:03Z
dc.identifier.other Baus - 13 en
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/170355
dc.description The "Eastland" was built in 1903 by Jenks Shipbuilding Company in Port Huron, Michigan. She ran excursions on Lake Michigan until sold in 1907 to the Lake Shore Navigation Company of Cleveland, Ohio. The vessel then ran from Cleveland to Cedar Point at Sandusky, Ohio. By 1915, the "Eastland" was again providing excursions on Lake Michigan. On July 24, 1915, the "Eastland" rolled over at the dock in the Chicago River. Eight hundred twelve passengers lost their lives. The vessel was renamed the "Wilmette" and in 1917 converted for use at Chicago by the U. S. Naval Reserve until 1948. en
dc.relation.ispartof Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center en
dc.subject Ships - Great Lakes (North America) en
dc.subject Great Lakes (North America) - Navigation - History en
dc.title Eastland at South Haven, Michigan en
dc.type Image en
dc.repository.name Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center en
dc.contributor.institution Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center en

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
2289.b.13.11.30.1.jpg 87.22Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record