Duluth - 157279

Show full item record

Title: Duluth - 157279
Author: Unknown
Description: "Duluth" was a small wooden ferry built at Cleveland in 1890 with her sister ship "Superior" for ferry service between Duluth and Superior cities. In May, 1895 they were taken over by Cleveland interests to be used as ferries from Superior St., Cleveland to Euclid Beach Park, a summer resort about 8 miles east of the city. In 1902-1905 they were owned by other interests, and the "Duluth" was the property of T. C. Ewing of Escanaba, Michigan and used as a ferry along the bay. She was sold to L. R. Boynton of St. Ignace, Michigan in 1906, and in 1910 her name was changed to "City of Cheboygan" under the ownership of Island Transportation Co. of St. Ignace. During all this time she operated between Cheboygan, St. Ignace, Mackinac Island and Pt. Aux Pius. She was sold in 1924 and the name changed to "City of Port Huron" and placed in the Port Huron-Sarnia Ferry Line. In service until the Blue Water Bridge was finished in 1939, she sank at dock on April 1, 1939 at Clyde St., Port Huron. Her hull was raised and stripped, and while being towed to Kincardine, Ontario she sank off Port Franks with a deckload of equipment.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/169919

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
2042.B. 350.3Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record