Empire State - 7229

Show full item record


Title: Empire State - 7229
Author: Unknown
Description: The "Empire State" was built at Buffalo, New York in 1862 by Mason and Bidwell. Owned by Holt & Ensign she made her first trip to Chicago on May 15, 1862. She then ran under the Western Transp. Co., later the Western Transit Co., running Buffalo to Duluth until sold in 1897. She was sold again in 1898 to the Northern Transit Co. of Cleveland who ran it along with the "Badger State" on nine day cruises between Cleveland, Toledo and Ogdensburg. They were taken over by the Barry Bros. Tranps. Co. in 1901, and in 1903 both vessels were used on the rate opposition war against the Detroit & Cleveland Nav. Co. The "Empire State" was made into a stone barge sometime between 1908-1911. She was abandoned at Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin in 1916 where her hull later burned and sank at Sturgeon Bay Stone Co. dock.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/169866

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
1991.B.13.8.27.1.JPG 348.5Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
3383.FR2.12.56.1.JPG 301.5Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record